Monday, January 7, 2013

Zucchini and Spinach Soup

I'm going to call this one a runner up.  It's certainly edible (such a glowing endorsement!) but needs a little something.  Maybe I blended it too much or need more lentils or spinach.  It's kind of watery and boring.  The cheese helps.

Zucchini and Spinach Soup

Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in large pan and add 1 chopped onion.  Cook over low heat until soft and slightly golden. 
Add 1-2 chopped garlic gloves, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp coriander.  Stir until onion are coated with spices and then add 2-3 handfuls of lentils and 2-3 medium zucchinis, diced into cubes. 
Stir until mixture is covered in spices and cook for a few minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally. 
Add 4 cups of boiling water and 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. 
Turn down the heat and simmer half covered for 10 min or until the zucchinis and lentils are well cooked. 
Add 5 large leaves of chopped spinach and cook for another 5 min. 
Turn off the heat and with a stick blender (or by running batches in your regular blender), blend until your desired consistency. 
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. 
You may garnish the soup with parmesan cheese.

This makes 3-4 servings so I put one serving in my mason jar to take to work and froze the rest.
A nice chunk of crusty bread would do a lot for this soup but, alas, it is not on my menu.  Maybe by the end of the week I won't crave that so much?

Oh, and not exactly the most appetizing LOOKING thing I ever ate, smells good though.


I had already eaten half when I remembered to take this, oops.  Oh, and some proof I eat at my desk at work :-(


No comments:

Post a Comment