Thursday, July 12, 2012

Zucchini, Black Bean and Rice Skillet

I'm not sure why I've been making mostly vegetarian meals lately, but I've been finding some good ones so I'm not complaining.  Here's a really easy and tasty meal I made for dinner tonight!
 
 

  • 1 T Canola Oil
  • 1 1/2 C Sliced Zucchini, quartered
  • 1/2 C green pepper, diced
  • 15 oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
  • 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes (with garlic - or add garlic)
  • 3/4 C Water
  • 1/2 C Shredded cheese (type of your choice)
  • 1 C Rice, Instant (I used brown rice)
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, undrained tomatoes and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Add rice; stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese.

For me, letting it stand the 7 minutes wasn't enough to get the liquid to absorb into the rice.  I left it on the heat (low) until the liquid was absorbed and the rice was fluffy.


This recipe makes a lot, so it'd be good for a dinner for family / friends or if you want leftovers for weekday meals.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Nothing wrong with vegetarian meals. ;)

    ReplyDelete