Thursday, July 19, 2012

Meatloaf - Version 1

I've tried a couple of times before to make meatloaf.  I wouldn't call past attempts completely unsuccessful, but I haven't found my "keeper" recipe yet.  So, tonight I tried again.

I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I've had for years.  I like that this recipe gives you ingredient options, so you can use what you have on hand.  The full recipe is below, as written in the cookbook.  I highlighted the ingredients I used or noted where I made other changes.

Meat Loaf (makes 4 servings)

1 beaten egg
3/4 C soft bread crumbs (1 slice) or 1/4 cup fin dry bread crumbs. (I used 3/4 C Panko bread crumbs)
1/4 C milk, beer, apple juice, or water 
1/4 C finely chopped onion (1/2 of a medium) or 1 T dried minced onion 
1/4 C finely chopped celery, green sweet pepper, or shredded carrot, or one 2 oz can mushrooms, drained and chopped (optional) 
2 T snipped parsley (optional - I opted out)
1/2 tsp dried sage, thyme, basil or oregano, crushed or dried dill-weed
1 lb ground beef or ground lamb (I used ground turkey)
2 T bottled bbq sauce, chili sauce, or ketchup

1. In a mixing bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, milk, beer, apple juice or water; onion, celery, sweet pepper, carrot, or mushrooms (if desired); parsley (if desired); sage, thyme, basil, oregano, or dill-weed; salt and pepper to taste.  Add ground meat and mix well.

2. In a shallow baking dish pat mixture into a 7x3x2 loaf (or shape into a ring 6 inches in diameter with a 2 inch hole in the center)

3. Bake in a 350 degree oven till no pink remains.  Bake loaf for 45 - 50 minutes; bake ring for 25 - 30 minutes.  Transfer to a platter.  Top with bbq sauce, chili sauce, or ketchup.

And the verdict is: 

Per my meatloaf loving husband "it's about as good as you can expect with turkey instead of beef."
It was a little dry but ok with some ketchup or bbq sauce added.  I think I'll try it with beef  before deciding if it's a "keeper" or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment