Recipe of the Week: Fried Zucchini with Chive Mayo
It looks just like it did in the magazine, so that's a good start (sorry the picture isn't very good, I had to use my work Blackberry to take it!).
I'll give this one a "good for parties but I certainly don't need to eat this entire plate of zucchini" rating.
It tastes pretty good, but you don't need a ton. And it requires more bowls (3 plus a put full of oil) than I'd generally want to use if I'm cooking just for myself or the two of us.
Directions (I cut the recipe in half):
- Whisk 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 beaten egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat 4 cups canola oil in a large pot over medium heat to 350 degrees
- Toss 2 zucchini (cut into spears) in 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Coat the zucchini in the batter
- Fry in batches, until golden, 4-6 minutes.
Chive Mayo (I used Greek yogurt, worked great)
- Combine 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup chopped chives, and 3.4 tsp seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay),
Serve with the zucchini and lemon wedges.
It's a keeper and may make an appearance at the New Year's party this year.