Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wacky Wednesday with a side of Fried Zucchini

I left my phone at the office today. :-(  So, yeah, that sucks!

Recipe of the Week:  Fried Zucchini with Chive Mayo

It looks just like it did in the magazine, so that's a good start (sorry the picture isn't very good, I had to use my work Blackberry to take it!).



I'll give this one a "good for parties but I certainly don't need to eat this entire plate of zucchini" rating.
It tastes pretty good, but you don't need a ton.  And it requires more bowls (3 plus a put full of oil) than I'd generally want to use if I'm cooking just for myself or the two of us.

Directions (I cut the recipe in half):

  • Whisk 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 beaten egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.  
  • Heat 4 cups canola oil in a large pot over medium heat to 350 degrees
  • Toss 2 zucchini (cut into spears) in 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • Coat the zucchini in the batter
  • Fry in batches, until golden, 4-6 minutes.
Chive Mayo (I used Greek yogurt, worked great)
  • Combine 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup chopped chives, and 3.4 tsp seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay),
Serve with the zucchini and lemon wedges.

It's a keeper and may make an appearance at the New Year's party this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment